10 Facts About Springsteen’s Seeger Sessions
April 25, 2016
Bruce Springsteen’s “We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions” album celebrated its 10 year anniversary on April 25th 2016! Here are ten facts about the Boss’ fabulous covers album:
1. We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions was Bruce Springsteen’s 14th studio album.
2. It was The Boss’ first and to date only album of non-Springsteen material, containing his interpretation of thirteen folk music songs made popular by activist folk musician Pete Seeger.
3. Seeger didn’t actually write any of the songs on the album.
4. “We Shall Overcome” was the first track recorded for the album back in 1997 as part of a Pete Seeger tribute album. We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions album wasn’t released until 2006.
5. At the time of the tribute album sessions Springsteen didn’t know much about Seeger. While playing his music in his house for research, Springsteen’s 10-year-old daughter said, “Hey, that sounds like fun,” which caused him to get interested in further exploring Pete Seeger’s material.
6. We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions was recorded across three sessions, the first in November 1997, second in March 2005 and finally in January 2006… almost taking as long as Guns N Roses’ Chinese Democracy to record …almost!
7. On hearing the album Seeger himself was pleased by the result, saying “It was a great honour. Springsteen’s an extraordinary person, as well as an extraordinary singer.”
8. In 2007, We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions won the Grammy Award for Best Traditional Folk Album at the 49th Grammy Awards
9. Both the album and the tour proved more popular in Europe than in the U.S. , a first for The Boss. Shows in London, Manchester, and Amsterdam all sold out in ten minutes or less. As part of the tour Springsteen and the Seeger Sessions Band performed at St.Lukes Church in London and you can watch their rousing rendition of show ender Jacob’s Ladder here:
10. We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions is available on 180 gram black heavy weight double LP now.
Intriguing collaborations, seminal singles, classic albums and breakthrough hits – it’s this week in rock. https://www.legacyrecordings.co.uk/news/this-week-in-rock-13Read more
Final shows, landmark shows, epic residencies and more. It’s This Week In Rock, rock history as it happened.Read more
Directed by Academy Award-nominee John Sayles, this video – just like the song it’s illustrating – has lost none of its power since its original release.Read more
We’re proud to announce that the blistering, Springsteen-fuelled soundtrack to Gurinder Chadha’s critically acclaimed movie ‘Blinded By The Light’, is out now.Read more
Landmark chart spots, classic shows and many happy returns – it’s this week in rock as it happened…Read more
Live debuts, awards, classic releases and a revolution in the recording industry. We look back at this week in rock history…Read more
To celebrate the 35th anniversary of Bruce Springsteen’s landmark album ‘Born In The U.S.A.’, we’re proud to present this 2013 performance of the album, filmed at the Hard Rock Calling Festival in London.Read more
The chances are that we ain’t ever going to agree on what the best Bruce Springsteen album is….Read more
The music of Bruce Springsteen takes a starring role in new film Blinded By The Light.Read more
As Bruce Springsteen’s sold-out one man show, ‘Springsteen On Broadway’ comes to a close in New York, we’re excited to announce the release of the accompanying soundtrack set and Netflix show.Read more
Presenting a new limited edition box set of some of The Boss’ finest work, long out of print, on remastered vinyl for the first time and available now.Read more
As we revisit one of The Boss’ most urgent, powerful eras, our artist of the month for May is the one and only Bruce Springsteen.Read more
This week we turn to our attention to a watershed moment from The Boss (and not just because of Courtney Cox’s Dad dancing…)Read more
Well, what else could it be this week?Read more
Some fantastic reviews for Bruce Springsteen’s genre-defining autobiography, ‘Born To Run’.Read More...
A round up of the best from to read and watch on the web from SeptemberRead more
Learn about Bruce Springsteen’s new book ‘Born To Run’!Read more
Enter our prize draw for your chance to win a copy of the new book ‘Born To Run’…Read more
Bruce is back with a new book and a new album!Read more
- Meet me in the cityBruce Springsteen
- The man who got awayBruce Springsteen
- Little white liesBruce Springsteen
- The time that never wasBruce Springsteen
- NIght fireBruce Springsteen
- and lots more!...
It’s the 10th anniversary of Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Seeger Sessions’! Here are 10 facts about the album…Read more
Take a different look at classic album covers and iconic pix from the likes of Hendrix, Dylan, The Clash etc.Read more
A comprehensive collection from ‘The River’ era.Read more
It’s Bruce Springsteen’s birthday, and we’re taking a look back through his musical timeline…Read more
Today we celebrate the spectacular album that is ‘Born To Run’ by Bruce Springsteen…Read more
Happy belated 4th of July y’allRead more
You can now get Bruce Springsteen’s first 7 albums on vinyl with re-mastered audio.Read more
We’re celebrating the launch of our website with a very nice competition for you guys…Read more
Take a look at what we released this Record Store Day.Read more